Thursday, 24 October 2013

Virtual, Portable, Portable Virtual - What to do now that the Ubuntu Edge isn't going to happen?

How do I take my machine with me wherever I go, preferably in my pocket! 

Failure to launch of the Ubuntu Edge has left me dangling. I love the idea of convergence, but the hardware is not being produced. Ubuntu is also not releasing the "Ubuntu for Android" last I heard.

So you are left with "Linux for Android", but I've had issues since the Android 4.3 upgrade with ext4 image stuffs(long story) (Update: There are new images now solving the issues I had)

So now I've gone back to an old idea, but a goodie! Ubuntu on USB Memory Stick (Pen Drive) Forget about the NASTY start-up disk option, its just a bad experience IMHO.

I'll update the post with the details of my experience, and how to overcome some of the issues, but the basics steps are                           Update: Check here for details
  1. Boot Ubuntu from a Ubuntu Install DVD, 32 bit will give best portability, as you don't know what hardware you'll end up on
  2. Select the try Ubuntu option 
  3. Insert a USB memory stick (I'd advise minimum of 8Gb, but can be done with as little as 4Gb
  4. Install Ubuntu to the memory stick, making sure to target the memory stick for where the boot loader is installed
  5. Wait +- 6 hours for install (From DVD to HDD takes about 30 min, not sure why to USB takes forever! I've worked out a 20 min cloning option I'll blog about)
  6. Restart after install and boot from USB!
  7. Enjoy Ubuntu on the move. 
I've been running this for a month off a USB2 stick with excellent performance, especially on my old Dell 640M laptop, it flies now. I've gotten a high performance USB3 now which I'll moved to ASP.

Best thing is, where ever I go, "my computer" is right there on my keyring!

Other Options: Not ready to give up Windows, +Scott Hanselman has some good ideas on getting decent performance. See the Less Virtual Windows7


No comments:

Post a Comment